There are a lot of people out there who don’t like selfies; the underlying reason seems to be that people who take selfies are vain, attention grabbing, friendless duck faced girls who (despite being vain) have self-esteem issues and need other people to verify their worth through likes and comments.
I love a good selfie, and forgive me if I’m wrong and don’t understand by subconsciousness at all, but I don’t think these are the reasons why I take selfies. I don’t think they’re the reasons why a lot of people take selfies.
Here are some reasons why I take selfies on an average day:
- My makeup looks pretty fierce that day
- My hair is doing what I want (with or without lots of time)
- My outfit is sick
- I’m having a ~pretty~ day
- I feel fucking fabulous and what better way to show the world than with a selfie?
Slightly deeper reasons I sometimes take selfies:
- I was bullied at school for being ugly and it’s a nice little FU when the same people are liking my photos. Is that a good reason? Probably not. Does it feel good? Hell yeah!
We are constantly told to love ourselves, and be happy with who we are, and then we post a selfie because we’re feeling confident in our appearance and we’re labelled narcissistic, pathetic, social media whores.
It’s like when we’re told to love our bodies no matter what size, but also told to laugh at Celeb ABZ for gaining 5lbs on holiday.
If you really don’t like selfies, stop following people who take them. Stop criticising people who take them, and remember that taking a selfie is definitely less annoying than your pen clicking habit or the fact that you chew with your mouth open.
And for those selfie lovers out there, keep on selfie-ing because you look damn fine and fuck anyone who thinks otherwise.